Wednesday, November 24, 2004

Re-learning a language

I have only around 8 more days, including today, before I depart from Malaysia to another continent where I will be installed for a month. As such, I am busy trying to get everything done and meet as many of my friends as I can before the hiatus begins, well not real hiatus where my dissertation is concern but a hiatus nonetheless when it comes to income generating work and being contactable in Malaysia. (:

Being back to freelance for this period while I try to complete my dissertation requires some adjustments of to finance management and lifestyle, which though not cumbersome, is still thorny. I have to remember not to overspend when I am abroad, as I no longer have a regular income to come back to. At least for this short duration.

Another reason why I have not been posting is that on top of trying to write another chapter of the dissertation, I have also been involved with writing another article, in Malay (my fourth attempt between this year and last, and a longer piece at that), and that has sucked up most of my Eid Fitr holidays (not that I celebrate the occasion personally, though being able to go visiting or on a short cheap holiday somewhere would had been great). I am rusty when it comes to writing in the language, and it somehow lacks the verve and finesse that I have when writing in English (though I am far from being a polished writer of English at this point). The editor pointed out that my piece sometimes lacks coherence and contain too many repetitions and is clumsy. Looks like I would have to work from scratch when it comes to writing in Malay, having left it behind with my school days. And to think I am trying to learn German, and later Chinese. I hope I am not overloading my grey matter and escalating its breakdown. :P Anyway, with regard to the article, it is to come out in a book anthology. I will post more details under the news section when it is out, which would most probably be in December 2004.

I've still got a number of books to review which I will do next year when I get back. I would like to start writing a column somewhere next year, as a way of expanding my publishing career. Not sure where and how, though I know what. That remains to be seen...

Anyway, back to work. I am working from home again. Though I enjoy it, too much of it can get to me. (:

If anyone wants to offer me a job in publishing, advertising or anything related next year, please contact me. (:

Cheers
Clarissa

No comments: