Wednesday, June 30, 2004

Media

I am currently finishing up a paper that I would be giving at a conference, and my partner would be adding and revising it further. It is a paper on audience reception and new media and you can get the abstract here and then scroll down to page 37. You will find it. Of course, you are welcomed to look at all the other abstracts. (:

I am currently reading this book called Representing Women: Myths of Feminity in the Popular Media by Myra Macdonald and it has set me thinking as to how not only how the media portray women to be, but how the women like to portray themselves as. One of the easiest thermometer to use is to visit the various weblogs women (as in that we DO KNOW that they are women, and not men masquerading as one) have published, and read the kind of issues that focusses their attention. Or even how they present their more 'private' spheres for public consumption. I have also been surfing through various websites dedicated to women, both the commercial and semi-commercial sites, and it is interesting to note what they perceive as being matters of concern or import to their female audiences. This could be done by comparing with the sites specifically dedicated to men, or the cultural construction of the male persona. I am currently particularly interested in writing a paper, using feminist theories, to construct the media representation of beauty through the image they endorse with all its trappings (beauty paraphernalia or surgical reconstruction). This of course would require me to surf the net, look at women's magazines, watch ads, and look at ads everywhere (:. Since I am now working on a half finished paper, I might work on this later in August, or Sept.

Googolism, online networks (like Friendsters) and blogs provide a playground for the voyeur in us. It is so easy to stalk people nowadays, n'est-ce pas ?

No comments: