Monday, June 14, 2004

Writing and other things

I need to work very hard on my writing. How to write in a style that denotes brevity, clarity and wit. How to grab your attention from the moment you read the first paragraph, the headlines, the subtitles. How to write enticing prose minus the purple, velvet,and the obtuse (obscure, perhaps?). I am thereby embarking on this journey to learn how to read AND write better. Perhaps teaching young teens how to do the same might be the best lesson for myself.

From today onwards, I am going to dedicate myself to the life of honing and polishing the art of writing good prose and poems. Content, style and technique would be the three areas I will be keeping a sharp eye on. Hence, I am joining a writing workshop.

I was planning to go Brazil next month. I managed to get a bit of money to pay for my trip from the organisers but the management of the place I work in refuse to give me any kind of funding, even though I am representing them, not just as a participant, but as a speaker! Nevermind then, their lost. So, I am not going anymore for this round. Maybe the next time, when I am travelling the world. Decided to spend the next 5 months completing a paper, polishing another, write a few reviews,work on my dissertation and read as much poetry as I could.

I think I will be going to Australia instead. For the upcoming Melbourne Arts Festival.

I think I neeed to go to the gym again. Haven't been at it for a month.

I discovered a useful resource for writers-to-be at PlacesForWriters that I would like to share with all of you. This is also for the more experienced and jaded among you.

Btw, after October 17, I am going to be jobless. So if anyone would like to offer me a job that commensurates with my interest and experience, please email me. I prefer temporary positions, though full time ones are also accepted. I am however, only available for employment, in November.


No comments: