Thursday, July 14, 2005

Muslim communities living at the edge

They have identified the young men involved with the bombings in London. We have hope that they might not be muslims again, but yet again, they have proven themselves dependable in this area. Sigh. Looks like interfaith dialogues are now going to go on in a midst of suspicion and mistrust. The fact that more young people are drawn to extremism (from neo-Nazism to extremist cults) in this age is really scary. Even many countries, including the one I am living in, it is the young ones we should start fearing, not the older folks who are already on their way out.

Guardian featured a section with photos and captions on the dead and missing from the bombings.

Here is an interesting article by Madeleine Bunting on the failure of multiculturalism in Britain. I am sure in weeks to come, there would be more articles on this.

AS it is, should one look at any academic fellowships in offer now, especially by the First world countries, they are HIGHLY interested in funding anyone involved in interfaith (which usually reads Islamic faith) and Islamic studies.

I for one got highly interested in Islam after 2001, though I have had my curiosities about the religion prior to that. But, I was never actively reading up on it until post 9/11. I'll blame it on the late Edward Said (poor guy be turning in his grave). (: