Thursday, February 09, 2006

Wearing the jilbab to be different from non-believers?

http://education.guardian.co.uk/schools/story/0,,1429171,00.html
http://education.guardian.co.uk/faithschools/story/0,,1705144,00.html
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/education/4679058.stm (the BBC story did not mention her story, but has an equally damaging statement on how this girl equate the resistance towards her wearing the jilbab WITH western attitude. Hello, you ARE a westerner yourself. You LIVE in the west...or is this another example of mental ghettoisation? I think the authorities need no look far as to why they are breeding terrorists. It all started from young. And I think it is time to examine this trend properly?)

Check out the news above and other related news stories. While I believe that it is the right of the girl to practice aspects of her religion, what I find extremely laughable is the reason she gave to her lawyers for practising her dresscode, so that she is not dressed like other non-believers! This is so irrational I nearly died laughing. So if all non-Muslims start wearing what she does, is she gonna her dresscode again?

I believe Islam to be a reasonable religion with many profound teachings, but actions like this girl is making the religion ridiculous. She might have won her right, but professing the reasons as she did more is just another way of justifying the sceptic's criticism of the religion through the idiocy of its believers. Since the girl is young, I will excuse her a little. Somehow, I feel really sorry for the British authorities who have to start bending backwards to accomodate every whims and fancies of every "pious" persons. In context, I disagree completely with the reason for her victory. She might feel she has won a step forward for the women (in terms of dressing, but this is miniscule compared to the other problems faced by Muslim women) but she has definitely help in creating the pejorative perception of Islam. It is sad that so many Muslims understand so little of their faith. She goes as far as to quote the Quran verse, and I am looking at it right now. But it is different from what it says. My 3:59 says "The similitude of Jesus before God is as that of Adam; He created him from dust then said to him:"Be": and he was". I believe she is referring to the Hadith, not the Quran. Can someone tell me the name of the Hadith? And can someone tell me where in which Hadith is it said about dressing differently from the "kaffirs"


Anyhow, I am surprise that no religious leaders have come out and give any explanation to her "reinterpretation" of Islam, unless of course they are behind this?

Before I get fired at by indignant Muslim men/women, let me state clearly here that I am NOT criticising the professions of the faith. What I am criticising is her misuse of her religion get her end. It is easy to say anything and everything to a bunch of "kaffirs" in the judiciary since most lack the training on the religion, no? And I think nothing is worse that knowingly speak the untruth yet using your religion as the basis. However, if someone can tell me im which Hadith or school or thought that "differances" should be professed THROUGH dressing (as opposed to one's actions and faith), I'll retract my words with regard to this girl. I would even do so if someone can let me know that Guardian has been erroneous in its report.

I am a feminist hence I do believe in every woman's right. But what I cannot buy into is the probable stupidity of my sex and the lack of will from its collective to do anything about it. But I'll be first to happily eat my words to have it proven otherwise...due to that damn media and its misreportage :D


I do understand the concept of ijtimak, by the way.

P.S. And I hope people will begin to learn the consequences of the irresponsible use of words and flippant, thoughtless remarks.