Friday, August 05, 2005

An academic crisis or multiply-layered hyprocrisy? -and an aside

Food for thought from the blog of late journalist, Steven Vincent.

In what particular description on how women are forced to abide to the rule of wearing abiyas, it has always been the norm in many places in Malaysia, including universities, to regulate the dressing of their students. Perhaps those who had studied abroad and never had to use the libraries or any of the facilities here might never had encountered this issue. Basically, clothes that I can wear to work (in an environment that is not strictly corporate) are not allowed in the hallowed grounds of the universities in this country. Or else, you will be accused of wearing clothes that are "menjolok mata" (I believe an apt translation would be "intoxicating" though that is not a direct translation. Basically, you might not even be wearing anything sexy, but show too much of a flesh (like forgetting to include sleeves to your garb) will have the moral vanguards go into an apoplexy. I've been told off a few times within the grounds of a local university just because I failed to look "decent" by their standards. Perhaps I'll buy a head-scarf and wear it TO university just to make a political statement. Though I am sure that will go over their heads and they will accuse me of insulting their religion.

It's not the religion that's very problematic here. It's the practitioners.

I am currently reading up on masculinities and femininities in preparation of writing the fourth chapter of my thesis. THe first two chapters came back from my supervisor with much comments which I will have to focus closely on as I restructure and fine tune my arguments. Reading up some basic tenets on critical writing posted by my friend here.

Pretty elementary for those already practising them but reading through the links there provided very necessary reminders to myself. Theoretical knowledge is one thing, but when one puts these into practice, one still encounter the pitfalls one is warned against unless one consciously bears these rules in mind as one writes. A poorly formulated argument can basically destroy whatever great theories you have thought out, as I have encountered again and again. There is a tendency to be sloppy and I have to always force myself, again and again, to be highly critical and meticulous in whatever I write, especially when it comes to more scholarly pieces.