Thursday, December 06, 2007

Thinking (un)linearly

I think I once wrote about thinking in a straight line. Writing in a linear way while being clear is an ordinary skill. Writing non-linearly yet sounding logical and clear is an art. Not many postmodern theorists can be said to have succeeded in doing that.

How does one succeed in the latter? Should we take our cue from John Donne, the sixteenth century poet and sermonist who is a pro in the art of rhetoric, and a master of making sense while arguing in circles and repeating sentences twice, first in Latin and then in English.

I've been writing a proposal and a personal statement in the last few days, while also reading a modern European thinker who is none too linear in his thinking. But its a translated work, I am not sure who's the one who had not quite mastered the art of clarity. Nonetheless, the ideas proposed are no walk in a park.

I am a mistress (this sounds demeaning) of non-sequiturs.

Ever seen a fish, swimming leisurely in a tank behind you, jumping out of the water in a shock just as you were bending backwards and stretching out your hands to loosen those knotted muscles? Well that just happened to me two days ago. That fish sits behind the sofa in my friends' living room. They've kept it for a year. It's gone much bigger

I've been thinking about how much I know or do not know, and realized how shallow my knowledge really is. So much that I've read I did not quite understand, nor did I quite know.
So what should I do to remedy that? Spend less time writing and more time reading? Spend more time thinking so that the ideas will sink in? This fast-pace world does not value the person with idle time.

Today, I went to a library and saw a Malaysian history comic book called "Where the Monsoon Meet: the Malaysian people's history." It's published by some small NGO. Anyone who'd like refresher course in Malaysian history would do well to get a copy of it.

I actually meant to write something that makes some sense. I have so much ideas earlier today, but no means and time to put them down. Now I am too tired. Goodnight

No comments: