Monday, March 22, 2004

Lack of practicability

Glossary for overseas readers
BN - National Coalition
BA - Alternative Coalition
PAS - Islamic Party of Malaysia

The last weekend would had been great if my car had not broken down halfway, partly due to inexperience and carelessness on my part. I supposed I have not bother to keep up to speed with the general condition of my car, having lost my paranoia that it would and could break down anytime. I have forgotten that my car is old and needs constant attention, by keeping a hand on its pulse. Hence I am now without my car for three days.

Having have this happened to me, I realise now that the reason why BN won big time, and perhaps opposition lost big time, is the latter's inability to keep to the pulse of the nation. Perhaps we could blame the apathy in the people, of being afraid of change, of being afraid of losing their perks, or being afraid that they will be ill-used if the Big Brother found out about their 'betrayal' (very real fears for some of them), of couldn't care less as long as the country is still surviving, or perhaps a narrow worldview (knowing more about what is going on in the US than in their own home country). Nevertheless, all these excuses aside, I think in general, the BA has not provided workable manifestors- I don't mean that all their plans are unworkable, in fact most of the plans are good, though lacking in details (but very few voters bother with details, come to think of it). It is always good to have the ideal. But one should not forget what kind of voters one have. And how they think. In a country that places economic well-being above the well-being of the masses, you are not going to get any support for change during the 8 day campaign period. Though I do not always agree with Mike Moore, I do agree when he say that you are not going to buy over your voters by giving them altruistic and idealistic agendas unless they are already converted to that belief. You have to educate them bit by bit. Harping about human rights (something which I feel strongly about), will not work in a constituency who cares more about earning money to feed their kids than about getting minimum wage. Some might think, "what if voting for these people might cause me to lose whatever meagre perks I have now?"

I also believe that the Opposition, should not make small issues their BIG issues, because it would make their voters think that they are reactionaries, people who could react to issues but have nothing solid to back up whatever raw assertions that they make. Take the case of mother tongue education. I am all for learning your mother tongue (or whatever language that you choose to learn), but I believe that it should be done in a way that would benefit the students who are SUPPOSED to be the beneficiaries. What is the point of talking about government conspiracy in oppressing vernacular education (even if it exists) as it would not help these students in any way. I know of course that all schools do not receive equal funding. This is not only the case with vernacular-language schools, but also even government funded national-language (Malay) schools. When the government fails you, you have no choice (until the next election comes about) but to organise yourself and work around them (even if they are trying their level best to screw you).

I do know that the Opposition are hampered by being a minority in Parliament. Perhaps the people are partly to be blamed for it (and for taking the easy excuse of 1. Nobody to choose from 2. BN will win anyway 3. I forgot to register 4. Better the devil we know). But I always think, even with the odds against you, that it is possible to still work around it. Grassroots organisations within oppressed countries like Burma have allowed the various minority ethnic groups their voice. I think that it is a shame that PAS, after having won Kelantan and Terengganu, did not choose to make a difference, even in small ways. In fact, they have oppressed the people further by introducing a host of ridiculous rules that I suspect have little to do with Islam in the first place. I believe that the people voted them into power because they were fedup with BN. But they realised that they weren't getting anywhere with PAS. So why not vote for the devil that we used to know, especially since there is a new Prime Minister who is the son of a Muslim Scholar (as the national dailies are so fond of harping on). DAP, despite its altercation with its allies, have managed to sustain a rather impressive performance. Perhaps we should thank its various MPs who had tried to make a difference, despite the limitations which they have to face.

So, what do you think? In face of a governmental machinery that would make life difficult for you when you choose to work change from the outside, should you then swallow your pride and be its bed partner? Or is it still possible to work around the system for change. This is what I am trying to figure out to determine what I hope to do for my future. Looks like party politics aren't going to go away, since everyone have to campaign under a party flag in order to get the required support (from campaign workers down to the voters). Of course, certain outstanding indivuals have managed to get support even from previously apolitical people, but that is few and far between. Looks like Malaysia is still a long way from achieving a thinking democracy bereft of flags, posters, slogans, propaganda ads and mud-slinging leaflets. One where the media is free to air a list of information and the rest of us to click online and vote based on the candidate's track record (not necessary as an MP, especially for a first timer). Maybe we are still at the phase where we need to consult our astrologer and feng shui instead of listening hard to our minds and heart....but then, how many people are thinking types?


Any thoughts?

No comments: