Monday, April 12, 2004

Tired

I seem to be perpetually tired every afternoon after lunch time, no matter how much sleep I have had. This does not only happen on weekdays but also on weekends. I think it is time to review my eating habits. Or it could have been the heat stroke (apparently 2 ppl I know are now suffering from that). It has been rather warm lately, followed by thunderstorm and shower.

I now realised how hard it is to find works of Malay classics in Malaysia, strangely enough. After going to a few bookstores known for selling more local works, I have yet to find any of the books I want. This reminds me of reading a particular comic strip by Lat, where there was this guy going around trying to get HIkayat Abdullah Munshi, canvassing areas from big bookshops to our august Dewan Bahasa and Pustaka and finally finding the book he wants at a local indian newsagent. Though I wasn't so lucky. If anyone out there reading this blog knows a good place to find these books, please let me know!

I attended a study session (well, the final hour of it) and realised now that many of the issues plaguing the religions of the Book are similar (I know people who would choose to disagree with me on this), as various factions and believers wrestle with multitudinous interpretations, problems caused by uninspired/dogmatics writers by certain theologians/religious scholars, and narrow worldviews that refuse to observe one's own short comings. I am making a study on this end whenever I could, though I have been rather lax in doing so of late. (:

Another problem that I had experienced over the weekend is realising how complex a poet I had picked to study for my dissertation. While many good poets are complex, this particular poet's complexity has so many layers to pick that one does not know where to start. She is not simple in anyway. Period. I realise that it would be a long while before I could reach such standards in my quest to write poetry, but then I will drill myself at it.

On a lighter note, I had the most delicious French dinner last Sat, though I was tired out when the final course was eaten and the bill was paid.

When my car gave me grief again over a traffic jam, I contemplated not driving in this notoriously bad public transport country of Malaysia but I shudder at the thought. Maybe I will just drive less and take public transport where possible.

I realise that I did not quite do everything that I set out to do over the weekend, but it was a good one nevertheless.

No comments: