Friday, April 30, 2004

Good/Bad week

It has been a long week. Feeling physically tired and am glad for the coming longggggggg weekend.
I will be going to Malaysia's version of Las Vegas, Genting Highlands, (yes this is a highland as opposed to a desert) for a celtic dance performance this coming Sunday. As I grudgingly make my way there, I hope the show is good. Perhaps I will write a review of it here, if someone pays me :D

Anyway, Tues was a meeting with some NGOS talking about politicking within NGO bodies. The topic of discussion, based on Petras's paper, is about NGOS in service of imperialism. It is interesting to see the many reactions that paper elucidated. I hope that they would have another session to discuss the problems and strategies to overcome so that it would not turn into another mud-slinging match like that of the politicians. What can I say. As long as there are humans, politics will never die. Even the animals have their own version of politics.

Wed, went for a haircut (just trimmed my hair a little) and then for dinner and a gig of an Australian band that was having a preview concert. The performance was good, but the sound system was horrible. Not properly tuned and adjusted, I'll say. They are performing again today and the person is called Shane Simmon. Anyone has heard of him?

Thurs. Bloody flash flood everywhere. Took me 1 hour 15 minutes to get to a place that would usually take me 15 minutes. But, had a good meeting with some people. In the course of some discussion and conversation with some people, I realised that while we may accuse the right wing conservatives of many faults, they do have their own axe to grind bout various issues that I am sure even the left-wing people could empathise with. Don't we all want financial security...whatever our beliefs may be. Perhaps practises do not always go hand in hand with theory. It is easy for us to theorise about people's miseries, unfair laws and stuff like that. But when it comes to the crux, do we really believe in helping the weak, especially if it means taking our own hard earn cash from our own pockets. I am not talking about homes, refuges or charity. I am talking about implementing a very good Social Security System. As well as good health care (which could mean higher taxes). While in Malaysia, we say that we do not mind paying higher taxes if the government is more accountable, is this really true? How much is altruism and how much is self-centredness?

Ok, that's all I gotta say, for now at least. Looking forward to my coming hols. Will still need to work but at least in my own time.

No comments: